AKC PuppyFinder: American Water Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Happy, eager, and charming; aloof with strangers, and a little stubborn
- Energy Level: Very Active; Upbeat AWS are outdoorsy athletes who love hunting and swimming
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 15-18 inches
- Weight: 30-45 pounds (male), 25-40 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 10-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Hunters and sportsmen prize the American Water Spaniel for his excellent retrieving ability on land and especially in water. But even if you don't hunt, the breed's upbeat personality, eagerness to please and athleticism are sure to charm you. Your American Water Spaniel puppy is very active; he needs obedience training and plenty of exercise, both mental and physical. He excels at dog sports and is a natural swimmer. He's happiest when he's working, especially alongside you. Keep him busy and you'll have a happy, devoted companion.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 1940
Breed History & Job Description: The development of the American breeds is a classic case of “Yankee ingenuity”—a particular genius for adapting Old World materials to solve New World problems. Breeding hounds that specialize in trailing raccoon is a good example. So is the AWS. The European immigrants who settled Wisconsin and Minnesota depended for sustenance on the region’s plentiful waterfowl. Over generations they utilized various Euro breeds in creating a wholly new dog, the AWS, to meet the unique challenges of hunting in and around the Great Lakes.
Unfortunately some may face a health challenge in their lifetime with hip dysplasia, eye disorders, cardiac abnormalities and degenerative myelopathy. As with all breeds, a majority of dogs in this breed will live long and healthy lives when given proper care and regular veterinarian visits.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: American Water Spaniel Club, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 312-339-4177
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/AWS%20Rescue/Rescue%20Link%20page.htm