AKC PuppyFinder: American Hairless Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Feisty, inquisitive, playful; a real terrier
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; not a hyper dog, but upbeat and game for anything Coat and Grooming: Not much to report here; a tube of sunscreen and you’re good to go
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 12-16 inches
- Weight: 12-16 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- History & Job
Origin: United States (Louisiana)
Year Recognized: 2016
Breed History & Job Description: AHT breeding began in the 1970s, when a hairless was born into a litter of midsize Rat Terriers. Her owners, Edwin and Willie Scott of Trout, Louisiana, named her Josephine. She was bred and produced Gypsy, a hairless female. Years later, Josephine gave birth to a pair of hairless siblings, Jemima and Snoopy. Snoopy was bred to his sisters and a new breed was born. The AHT was admitted to the American Kennel Club in January 2016.
Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like cardiac disease, hip dysplasia, patellar luxation and Legg-Calve-Perthes. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of American Hairless Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Patella Evaluation
- Legg-Calve-Perthe Radiographic
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no American Hairless Terrier puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.