AKC PuppyFinder: American English Coonhound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sweet and mellow; sociable with dogs and people alike
- Energy Level: Very Active; One whiff of raccoon, and this mild-mannered gentleman becomes Superhound
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 24-26 inches (male), 23-25 inches (female)
- Weight: 45-65 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 11-12 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
Owners who aren't prepared to offer patient, lifelong training and plenty of physical and mental stimulation might want to consider another breed. The American English Coonhound is the quintessential hound; one whiff of tempting prey and he's gone. Like other hounds, he's a combination of high-energy hunter and sweet, affectionate companion at home. Prone to distractions, your American English Coonhound puppy needs early repetitive and patient training. He's a great fit for an active owner who's ready to take on this indomitable athlete.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2011
Breed History & Job Description: The breed is American by birth, English by ancestry. They’re one of six hounds frontiersmen devised to specialize on trailing and treeing North America’s perfect source of food, fat, and fur: the raccoon. It’s said that English are the granddaddy of the coonhound breeds, with a lineage that goes back to the British foxhounds kenneled on the vast plantations of George Washington and his wealthy Virginia neighbors. Since colonial times, the breed has been immensely popular among the tight fraternity of coon hunters.
Following through with proper early socialization of your American English Coonhound is paramount or your puppy may become possessive over food or toys in your home. The key to a well-adjusted, mentally healthy dog is to bring your puppy to a variety of places and situations and meet a diversity of people to ensure that he’s off to a good start in the world.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: Curt Willis
- Breed Club Rescue Link: https://www.facebook.com/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page-186296814742904/
Click here to see all American English Coonhound Rescue Groups.
Sorry, there are no American English Coonhound puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.