Tips & Advice
Find Your Puppies the Right Homes
Responsible breeders should do as much interviewing and questioning as the puppy buyers. This will help ensure that your puppies go to homes that are best suited for your breed’s temperaments and energy level. You may want to ask puppy buyers to fill out a questionnaire and schedule phone interview with them. Making a good match is crucial, so here are some questions you can ask puppy buyers to figure out if they are a good fit for your breed and puppies.
Questions to Ask a Potential Puppy Buyer
- What made you decide on this breed?
- Have you researched x, y, and z about this breed?
- What previous experience do you have with owning dogs?
- What other pets do you own now? If dogs, what breed? How many?
- Do you have children?
- Why do you want a puppy? What will make you a great dog owner?
- Does your schedule have the flexibility to accommodate a puppy?
- Who will be the primary caretaker of the puppy?
- How many hours a day do you expect the puppy to be alone?
- What do you plan to do with your dog (activities, etc.)?
- Where do you live? In what conditions will the dog live? Do you have a fenced yard? How will you exercise the dog?
- Do you have the necessary resources to ensure the best life for your dog?
- Where will the dog sleep?
- If you can’t keep the dog for any reason, will you return him to the breeder?
- Do you have any more questions for me about the puppy or the breed?