Marketplace for Breeders
Welcome to the FAQ!
Have a question about AKC Marketplace? Find answers to the most frequently asked questions here:
(Click links to jump to a section below:)
- Before You Purchase: things to consider before joining
- Making Your Purchase: how to buy a Listing or Subscription
- After Your Purchase: managing and updating your Listings, Page, and account
For immediate assistance, AKC Customer Service is here to help at 919-233-9767 from 8:30am-5:00pm EST Monday-Friday. You may also leave an inquiry at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you within 2-4 business days.
Before You Purchase
There are many ways to join the community of breeders who actively advertise their kennel and litters on AKC Marketplace. Here are some things to consider when deciding which option works best for you.
Listing vs. Subscription
A Listing is an advertisement for an AKC-registered litter. For $29 a litter, your listing will be posted for 90 days, after which, you have the option to renew it for another 90 days at $29.
A Subscription is a premium membership to the AKC Marketplace. It is purchased on either a Monthly or Annual basis. A Subscription entitles you to create as many Listings as you please. A monthly subscription is $10/month with a $20 signup fee.These Listings still expire after 90 days - however, you may renew them for another 90-day period for free while your Subscription is active. An annual Subcription is $99/year.
The added bonus of a Subscription is a presence in AKC Marketplace even when you have no live Listings. Your page (showcasing your pictures and personalized kennel description) remains searchable by our 1.2M+ puppy buyers. You can also advertise upcoming litters as future Listings to build up your waiting list.
Why choose a Subscription?
Many breeders who choose a Subscription cite one or more of these reasons for their decision:
- Continued exposure to puppy buyers to be an ambassador for their breed and provide education
- Ability to advertise future litters and build up waiting lists
- Frequency of breeding program makes monetary sense to do a Subscription vs. individual Listings
Breeders Of Merit
For their good works as AKC ambassadors in the broader community, our AKC Breeders of Merit receive free Listings on AKC Marketplace for their designated breed. Additionally, Breeders of Merit are listed higher up in our search results. Read more on how to join this program >>
Many Breeders of Merit still opt to purchase a Subscription. In addition to the continuous presence in Marketplace to our 1.2M+ puppy buyers, the increased exposure as a Breeder of Merit enables them to be ambassadors for their breed. Some puppy buyers need guidance when deciding if a breed is right for them. Breeders of Merit who are also Subscribers are in an excellent position to ensure proper education.
Making Your Purchase
Buy a Subscription
If you have decided on the premium Subscription offering, you do not need to have any current AKC-registered litters to get started. Choose a plan now >>
If you just want to purchase a single Listing, you need to have a current AKC-registered litter. To purchase, you may do so either 1) During registration or 2) After registration in Marketplace
Buy a Listing During Registration
- Go to AKC Online Registration to register your litter. If you already have an AKC account, be sure you are logged in with it. If not, we recommend you create one and login before continuing with registration.
- In the multi-step workflow, you will be presented with an option to Purchase a Listing, choose Yes.
- If the AKC account you are logged into is either 1) A Breeder of Merit for this breed or 2) Already has a Marketplace subscription, you will be charged $0. Otherwise, you will be charged $29.
After you complete registration, you must ensure your Marketplace Listing has been activated. If you were logged in, this has been done automatically for you. Sign in and visit Manage Listings to continue customizing it.
If you were not logged in, you will need to manually activate your Listing in the next section: Buy a Listing After Registration.
Buy a Listing After Registration
Once your litter is registered, it is made available in our system to be purchased (or activated for free, if you qualify) as an AKC Marketplace Listing.
- Login with your AKC account and go to Manage Listings > Create a Litter Listing. Our system will guide you through the easy steps to either activate your already-purchased Listing or buy an individual Listing.
- Be sure to have your Litter #, Dam Registration #, and Dam Certification issue date handy.
For immediate in-person assistance, AKC Customer Service is here to help at 919-233-9767 from 8:30am-5:00pm EST Mon-Fri. You may also leave an inquiry at email@example.com and we will get back to you within 2-4 business days.
After Your Purchase
Welcome to AKC Marketplace!
It is time to customize your page and/or Listings with descriptions and photos so your kennel stands out to the puppy buyers searching on our platform. The three main parts of your account are Manage My Page, Manage Listings, and Account.
Tell buyers all about your kennel and breeding practices here, as well as keep your contact information up-to-date in one place.
There are 5 parts to Manage My Page:
- Profile: This information will inform potential buyers about you and your breeding program
- Contact: Keep all of your contact information up to date in this single spot
- Tell Us More: Let folks know about your involvement with AKC clubs and events
- Photos & Videos: Upload as many photos and videos as you please. You can crop pictures, link to Youtube videos, and choose the order of their appearance in your photogallery.
- Billing & Payments: Update payment information for AKC Marketplace
All of this information appears next to your Contact Form. If you have no active Listings, it is the only thing buyers will see about you. Ensure this is kept up to date with the latest pictures and news from your kennel!
Update the status of your Listings as well as manage each litter description, health testing information, pictures and videos.
In Manage Listings, you will see each of your Listings and their status:
- Live: These Listings are currently searchable by puppy buyers. Clicking Delist will immediately take them down as pending.
- Pending: These Listings are not searchable by puppy buyers. Clicking Publish will immediately make them so.
- Expired: These Listings are not searchable by puppy buyers. Clicking Renew will start the process to re-publish the Listing to Live (this is free for Subscribers and Breeders Of Merit, $29 for others)
- Future: A Subscription-only premium feature allows you to announce your next expected litter. This will show up in the search results for puppy buyers.
- Customize: This information will inform potential buyers about the litter and what is available. Make sure to indicate if you have done or will do one of the 5 key steps as these yes/no answers appear prominently in your Listing.
- Photos & Videos: Upload as many photos and videos as you please. You can crop pictures, link to Youtube videos, and order their appearance in your photo gallery.
- Billing & Payments: Update payment information for this litter, if necessary.
Ensure your Listings are kept up-to-date regarding available puppies and the latest news. This ensures a positive experience for both you and your potential customers!
For immediate in-person assistance, AKC Customer Service is here to help at 919-233-9767 from 8:30am-5:00pm EST Monday-Friday. You may also leave an inquiry at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you within 2-4 business days.